Children’s 2014 Summer Reading Program
Children’s Summer Reading Programs continue through the month of July, ending with the Mad Scientist Party on Friday, July 25.
Preschool aged children (from birth through age 6) can join the Read to Me Club, which introduces reading to young children and reading to young children at home. The program encourages parents or caregivers to read aloud to their child and record what’s been read in a logbook.
Miss Abby also hosts a weekly story time at the library for those in the Read to Me Club. Read to Me story time is an interactive program featuring picture books, songs, games, and crafts designed to engage eager young minds. Each week will focus on a different science theme:
Tuesday, June 17, 10:30 AM to 11:15 AM: Exploring Butterflies, with stories, songs, and games about butterflies, as well as a butterfly craft. Children will also explore a butterfly garden. Wednesday, June 25, 10:30 AM to 11:15 AM: Remarkable Robots, with stories, songs, and games about robots. Children will also construct a robot of their own.
- Tuesday, July 1, 10:30 AM to 11:15 AM: Exploring Colors, with stories, songs, and games about colors, as well as experiments to identify and mix colors.
- Tuesday, July 8, 10:00 AM: Meet Miss Abby in the parking lot at the Samuel Justus Bike Trail (at the east end of the 8th Street Bridge over the Allegheny River on PA Route 322) for a Nature Scavenger Hunt. Children are encouraged to bring a bucket or basket in order to gather scavenger hunt items.
- Tuesday, July 8, 11:15 AM to 12:00 Noon: Stripes of All Types, with stories, songs, and games about striped animals. Children will also explore the trunk of striped animal material and make a craft.
- Tuesday, July 15, 10:30 AM to 11:15 AM: Wacky Weather, with stories, songs, and games about weather and other forces of nature. Children will conduct a weather experiment by making a tornado tube.
- Tuesday, July 22, 11:30 AM to 12:15 PM: The Wonders of Space, with stories, songs, games, and crafts about planets and stars.
School Aged Children
Children from age 6 to age 12 can explore the magnificent world of science with “Fizz, BOOM, Read!” Upon registration, children and their parent or guardian must sign a reading contract. The program challenges children to set reading goals for themselves throughout the summer and to record their progress in a reading log. Participants are eligible to win prizes throughout the and will receive a certificate of achievement once they’ve completed the program.
Each week will feature programs with a different science theme and lots of special guests:
Monday, June 16, 10:30 AM to 11:00 AM, ages 6-12: Save the Planet, featuring an Enviroscape Interactive Demonstration to examine water pollution presented by the Venango County Conservation District. Monday, June 16, 4:00 PM to 4:30 PM, all ages: Miss Abby will host a science related story time, experiment, and craft at the library. Monday, June 23, 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM, ages 6-8: Remarkable Robots, an interactive demonstration by Laura Jones where she will show us how she programs a real robot. Tuesday, June 24, 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM, ages 9-12: Remarkable Robots, an interactive demonstration by Laura Jones where she will show us how she programs a real robot. Monday, June 30, 10:30 AM to 12:00 Noon, ages 6-12: Curious About Science, where participants meet at the Venango Museum of Art, Science, and Industry in Oil City for a tour of the museum featuring the exhibit Black Gold or Black Magic: How the Discovery of Oil Still Affects Our Lives Today. Monday, June 30, 4:00 PM to 4:30 PM, all ages: Miss Abby hosts a science related story time, experiment, and craft at the library.
- Monday, July 7, 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, ages 6-12: I Love Animals!, with an interactive demonstration from the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Officer Bimber about how animals seek food, water, and shelter.
- Tuesday, July 8, 10:00 AM, all ages: Meet Miss Abby in the parking lot at the Samuel Justus Bike Trail (at the east end of the 8th Street Bridge over the Allegheny River on PA Route 322) for a Nature Scavenger Hunt. Children are encouraged to bring a bucket or basket in order to gather scavenger hunt items.
- Monday, July 14, ages 6-8 meet at 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM, and ages 9-12 will meet at 11:00 AM to 11:30 AM: Forces of Nature is a fun program where we will build structures out of various materials in order to test the impact of an earthquake.
- Monday, July 14, 4:00 PM to 4:30 PM, all ages: Miss Abby hosts a science related story time, experiment, and craft at the library.
- Monday, July 21, 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM, ages 6-8 : 3,2, 1 Blast Off! with Laura Jones will provide an interactive demonstration of how to build and test a fizzy rocket.
- Tuesday, July 22, 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM, ages 9-12: 3, 2, 1 , Blast Off! Laura Jones will provide an interactive demonstration of how to build and test a fizzy rocket.
For Children of All Ages
- Monday, July 21: All Children’s Summer Reading Program participants are encouraged to enter our Robot Building Contest. Children may build robots of metal, cardboard, tin cans, containers, boxes, etc. Robots should be delivered to the library on Monday, July 21 during regular library hours (10:00 AM to 8:00 PM). Judging will take place on Saturday, July 26 at 10:00 AM. Prizes will be awarded to the person who has built the best robot!
- Friday, July 25, 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM: All children are invited to celebrate the end of Children’s Summer reading at a Mad Scientist Party. Enjoy an afternoon of fun science games, crafts, and snacks. Children will receive their certificates of completion.
Gamer’s Guild meets throughout the summer, every other Wednesday from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM (July 2, 16 & 30; August 13 & 27). The Gamer’s Guild is a card game and portable video game night for ages 8 to 15. If you are older than 15 but would still like to participate, please see Dungeon Master/Pokemon Master Miss Kathleen about volunteering. We’ll play card games (Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Magic, Dungeons and Dragons, etc.) and Gameboy, PSP, and Ninenndo 3DS (Pokemon, Legos Batman, Megaman, etc.). Please bring your own game cards and equipment. No registration is required and snacks will be provided.
Happy Birthday Harry Potter!
Celebrate Harry Potter’s birthday with Miss Kathleen on Thursday, July 31 from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM. Participate in a read-along of your favorite chapters, play the tricky “Can You Stump Miss Kathleen at Harry Potter Trivia?” game, play Harry Potter board games, Wii games, and watch movies. Dress up as your favorite Hogwart’s student if you’d like! And, of course, enjoy some birthday cake. Free for all ages, no registration required.
American Girl Club
The American Girl Club does not meet during the summer. The next American Girl Doll meeting is on Saturday, September 6 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon. The club will typically continue to meet on the first Saturday of the month from September 2014 through May 2015, except October 11, 2014 and May 9, 2015, which are both second Saturdays.
Please call Wendi at (814) 676-0558 if you are able to help at the Venango County 4H Fair’s Milkmasters Booth on Tuesday, August 5, 2014.
If you have any questions about the American Girl Doll club, please call Bekah at (814) 673-9080 or Wendi at (814) 676-0558. Any girl in kindergarten and up is invited. Bring your doll if you’d like.