Today is Dr. Seuss’s 112th birthday! In honor of the man who wrote so many popular children’s books that continue to grow in popularity even today, here are some fun Dr. Seuss facts:
- Theodor Seuss Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss, began his career in advertising. He created ads for NBC, Ford, General Electric, Standard Oil, and many other companies for thirty years, even as he was also writing and illustrating children’s books.
- The perennial favorite, The Cat in the Hat (1957), was actually Dr. Seuss’s thirteenth published book. And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street (1937) was his first published book for children. “Depending on the version of the story he tells, either 20, 26, 27, 28, or 29 publishers rejected the book.” However, an old friend who had just been promoted to the juvenile department of a publishing house agreed to print it, and the rest, as they say, is history.
- “Of the forty-four books written and illustrated by Dr. Seuss, only four are in prose. If we add books illustrated by others, or written under another name, or co-authored, or published posthumously, then the total number of books is sixty-six, with only five in prose.”
- A primary inspiration for Dr. Seuss was to get kids interested in reading, even if that meant reading nonsense words. He and others in the mid-1950s worried that books like the classic Dick & Jane series were too boring for kids. A colleague challenged Seuss to “Write me a story that first-graders can’t put down!” He asked that Seuss limit the book’s vocabulary to no more than 225 different words, choosing those words from a list of 348. The result was The Cat in the Hat, which uses 236 different words.
- A new Dr. Seuss book was just published last year! Curious how that could be?
Join us in honoring Dr. Seuss on his birthday today. The legacy he left for children’s books can’t be underestimated. Check out the official Dr. Seuss website for lots of fun games and activities to enjoy today!
Thank you to those who have sponsored days at the library this month!
- February 2 – sponsored in memory of George A. Black
- February 8 – sponsored in honor of the Ritchey family
- February 15 – sponsored in honor of the 75th Anniversary of the wedding of Thomas and Isabel Findlan
As we work out the details of this new fundraiser, we hope to have more advance notice of sponsored days. If you are thinking about sponsoring a day, please let us know. We want to make sure the world knows today is your day!
Thank you for supporting your library. Our community is very important to us, and we appreciate any support. If you are looking for other ways to support your library, learn more here.
Support your library and have some fun at the The Friends of the Library’s Bunco Tournament fundraiser! This month, we play on Friday, February 19 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
The donation is $15 per person, and includes lunch. Seating is limited, and registration is required. To register, please stop by the library, or give us a call at 814-432-5062.
Bunco is an easy, fast paced dice game requiring no previous skill. Can you roll dice? Then you can play Bunco! You can learn to play in a few minutes.
Are you interested in donating your time to fundraisers like this? The Friends meet next week for their monthly meeting on Wednesdy, February 16 at 6:30 PM. New faces and curious community members are always welcome. We love new ideas!
Are you stumped for a gift idea, or looking for a unique way to support your community? Consider our new Sponsor a Day At the Library opportunity. For a $100 donation, you can choose to sponsor any day that the library is open. Commemorate a special date, like a birthday or anniversary, honor a loved one, or sponsor a random Tuesday because you love your library.
On your day, we will make sure the world knows you’ve supported your library, and why! We’ll posts signs in the library for at least a week, include your information on this website (right in the top left corner), on our Facebook page, and in our monthly newsletter. We will also sent a notice to the honoree or family, if you’d like.
Find the downloadable Sponsor a Day form here, and feel free to contact us with any questions.
Please consider our new Sponsor a Day at the Library opportunity. As always, thank you for supporting your library. Our community is very important to us!
New Play Sets
We were one of 100 libraries to receive a state library grant, used to purchase eighteen new building sets for the Junior Room! You’ll find two sets on the computer table, and Miss Christine will regularly rotate them out for different sets. Some of the sets need more supervision than others. But remember, play is a child’s work!
Wordless Picture Party
This Saturday, January 23 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM, join Miss Christine for a Wordless Picture Book Party.
Wordless picture books play an important role in supporting literacy skills. Reluctant readers are especially encouraged to attend. Enjoy listening to stories, telling stories, and making your own book too! Parents are asked to stay with their children for the entire program. No registration is required.
Crazy 8s Math Club Registration
Registration opens this coming Monday, January 25 for the next round of Crazy 8s Math Club. This time, the club is for kids in grades 3 through 5. The club meets weekly on Wednesdays at 4:00 PM beginning February 10 and ending March 23.
Space is limited, so don’t hesitate to get in and register! Pre-registration is required.
The program lasts approximately an hour and parents are required to stay in the building. Check out the full flyer here: Crazy 8s Older Kids PDF
Story Time Registrations
Story Time registrations open on Monday, February 1. Registration is required for both story times. Space is limited, so be sure to sign up early.
Busy Bees Story Time meets weekly on Tuesdays at 11:00 AM. Busy Bees Story Time is for children from age 3 to age 6 with a parent or other caregiver. Busy Bees Story Time begins on February 9 and ends on March 15.
Mommy & Me Story Time meets weekly on Tuesdays at 10:15 AM. Mommy & Me Story Time is for for children from birth to age 3 and a parent or other caregiver. Mommy & Me begins on February 9 and ends on March 15.
Remember, you can always keep up with the Childrens Room activities on our Calendar, our Children Page, and on Facebook.