The final days of school are closing in quickly. Time to start scheduling your summer activities, and we hope joining our Summer Reading Program 2015 will make it onto your schedule!
Why Summer Reading?
Summer Reading Programs provide a great opportunity to help your kids connect to what they are reading, investigate topics that interest them in more depth, and is a vital step in helping prevent summer learning loss.
Check out the Reading Rockets for Parents for a page of resources related to summer reading benefits, ways to connect with your readers broken by age group, strategies for helping your struggling reader, and adventure packs for hands on activities tied into specific fiction and non-fiction books.
The Scholastic Page for Parents has a handy Age by Age Quick Find toolbar that allows you to choose your child’s age and browse a list of available topics tailored to that age. Also, on Scholastic’s Summer Reading Tips From Librarians page, you’ll find a list of tips from Librarians to help your kids enjoy summer reading just a little bit more.
Summer Reading 2015 at the Franklin Public Library
The best way to get your kids reading in the summer? Join our a Summer Reading Program at Franklin Public Library! We offer three Summer Reading Programs: Children, Teens, and Adults. Pre-registration is required for all three programs and begins June 1. Please stop by the library to register. Programming begins June 8 and continues through August 1.
Here’s a preview of what we have planned:
- The Children’s Program theme is “Every Hero Has a Story,” and is open to all children from birth to age 12. All families are welcome to participate regardless of residence. This theme will encourage and inspire children of all ages to celebrate community heroes. Our plans include a visit the fire station, Comic Con, touring a state park, writing letters to troops, and visiting with therapy dogs and A K-9 officer.
- Registered participants can record their reading progress and earn prizes!
- Tuesdays at 10:15 AM, Mommy & Me Story Time (Birth to age 3): Engage your little one in new ways. Join us for books, rhymes, and music to boost learning. Parents, grandparents, and caregivers welcome.
- Tuesdays at 11 AM, Busy Bee Story Time (ages 3 to 6): Participate with your preschooler as we encourage reading and a love of books with stories, music, and fun.
- Fabulous Family Fun (All Ages): Come enjoy stories, songs, projects, games, guests, and field trips. Children of all ages & adults, who care for them, attend together for interactive fun & learning!
- Make-n-Take Saturdays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. Drop in and make a fun craft with your family.
- The Teen Program theme is “Unmask,” and is for ages 13 to 18.
- Register at the library by giving your name, age, email, and current phone number, and signing a reading contract.
- To be eligible to win more prizes, read any books you’d like and return a book review to the library. All reviews are due by August 1.
- The Program for Grownups is a relaxed, self paced program. Participants submit brief reviews for each book they’ve read during the program, and door prizes will be drawn from the submitted reviews.
Mark your calendars so you don’t miss out on all the Summer Reading fun! And remember, registration for all three programs begins June 1. Please keep an eye on this site and Facebook page for more event details. We hope to see you this summer! If you have any questions, feel free to call the library at 814-432-5062.
(Image courtesy of Sira Anamwong at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)