New Play Sets
We were one of 100 libraries to receive a state library grant, used to purchase eighteen new building sets for the Junior Room! You’ll find two sets on the computer table, and Miss Christine will regularly rotate them out for different sets. Some of the sets need more supervision than others. But remember, play is a child’s work!
Wordless Picture Party
This Saturday, January 23 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM, join Miss Christine for a Wordless Picture Book Party.
Wordless picture books play an important role in supporting literacy skills. Reluctant readers are especially encouraged to attend. Enjoy listening to stories, telling stories, and making your own book too! Parents are asked to stay with their children for the entire program. No registration is required.
Crazy 8s Math Club Registration
Registration opens this coming Monday, January 25 for the next round of Crazy 8s Math Club. This time, the club is for kids in grades 3 through 5. The club meets weekly on Wednesdays at 4:00 PM beginning February 10 and ending March 23.
Space is limited, so don’t hesitate to get in and register! Pre-registration is required.
The program lasts approximately an hour and parents are required to stay in the building. Check out the full flyer here: Crazy 8s Older Kids PDF
Story Time Registrations
Story Time registrations open on Monday, February 1. Registration is required for both story times. Space is limited, so be sure to sign up early.
Busy Bees Story Time meets weekly on Tuesdays at 11:00 AM. Busy Bees Story Time is for children from age 3 to age 6 with a parent or other caregiver. Busy Bees Story Time begins on February 9 and ends on March 15.
Mommy & Me Story Time meets weekly on Tuesdays at 10:15 AM. Mommy & Me Story Time is for for children from birth to age 3 and a parent or other caregiver. Mommy & Me begins on February 9 and ends on March 15.
Remember, you can always keep up with the Childrens Room activities on our Calendar, our Children Page, and on Facebook.
This weekend! Everyone is invited to visit the library on Saturday, February 6 from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM for our annual Love Your Library Benefit Open House. The library is open for regular business during the event as well. Stop in and warm up during Franklin on Ice!
There is no charge for the event, but you can support the library by making a $1 donation to put your name on a Love Your Library tag, which will be on display during the month of February.
The Love Your Library Benefit Open House is a great time to check out all that the library has to offer for all ages. Sign up for a new county-wide library card, meet others in your community, and check out all the fun stuff we have planned.
- 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM : “Be My Valentine” Storytime and Crafts
- 11:30 AM – Noon: “Clifford the Big Red Dog” Stories
- 11:30 AM – Noon: Sandycreek Singers performance
- 1:30 PM – 2:00 PM: “Clifford the Big Red Dog” Stories
- Noon – 2:00 PM: Clifford the Big Red Dog Crafts
- Noon – 2:00 PM: Caricatures with Jeff Little (still confirming)
- Noon – 1:00 PM: Central Elementary School Band and Choir performance
- 1:00 PM – 1:30 PM: Victory Elementary School Choir/Band performance
- Refreshments in the meeting room
- 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM: Anderson’s Greenhouse Spring Bulb and Valentine Display & Sale
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM: Display of poster contest from grades 4, 5, and 6 (Franklin Area schools)
- 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM: Visit with Clifford the Big Red Dog character in the library
We hope to see you here!
Lose weight, receive accountability, and help raise money for the library (and maybe yourself!). Thin It To Win It is a 6-week weight loss challenge, with weekly weigh-ins and monetary accountability.
- The first weigh-in is on Saturday, January 9, at the library anytime from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- The cost to participate is $25.00 per person and $2.00 at each weekly weigh-in.
- Weekly weigh-ins continue every Saturday at the library until February 20. Stop in anytime from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM to weigh-in.
- Participants whose weight increases from one week must pay an additional $1.00, which can help you stay motivated.
- The participant who loses the most weight at the end of the 6-week challenge, based on percentage of weight lost, wins half of the total amount collected.
- The library receives the other half of the amount collected.
Here’s to good health and a good cause! Let’s motivate each other, and try to win some money for ourselves and our library.
Thank you in advance for participating!
We are closed this Thursday, November 26 through Sunday, November 29, to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Regular hours resume Monday, November 30.
Enjoy your holiday!
If you would like to learn more about Thanksgiving, including a few things you probably don’t know already, check out the History Channel’s page on Thanksgiving, which has videos, articles, and more. Did you know that lobster, seal, and swan were on the first Thanksgiving menu?
Calling all teen writers! We know you’re out there. We want you all to join Miss Kathleen for NaNoWriMo in November! Have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo? It stands for National Novel Writing Month, and the goal is to write an entire novel in 30 days. From the site:
National Novel Writing Month happens every November! It’s a fun, seat-of-your-pants writing event where the challenge is to complete an entire novel in just 30 days. For one month, you get to lock away your inner editor, let your imagination take over, and just create!
That means participants begin writing November 1 and must finish by midnight, November 30. The word-count goal for our adult program is 50,000 words, but the Young Writers Program (YWP) allows 17-and-under participants to set reasonable, yet challenging, individual word-count goals.
In 2014, over 300,000 adults participated through our main site, and nearly 90,000 young writers and educators participated through the YWP.
Click over to the site and sign up by this Saturday October 31 (make sure you have an adult’s permission first), then find Miss Kathleen’s Virtual Classroom, FranklinPublicLibrary_Inklings. You’ll be able to set your own writing goal, follow Miss Kathleen in her own goals, and encourage each other along the way. The site also offers lots of free prep resources, prompts, and interviews from your favorite YA authors.
Teen Halloween Party
This Thursday, October 29 at 6:00 PM, teens are invited to Neverending Stories at 1252 Liberty Street for a Halloween Party! Winners of the 2015 Teen Spooky Story & Art Contest will also be announced. No registration is required.