The Friends of the Library host the 3rd Annual Hildegard Dolson Memorial Cribbage Tournament on Saturday, March 15. Registration is required and is limited to 24 players. The cost is $10.00 per player and includes lunch. Proceeds support library programs.
Cribbage is a card game that “operates on the principle of matching combinations of cards: pairs, three or more of a kind, flushes, runs (sequences), and groups of cards that add up to 15. Players score points for matching both during and after play (after play, points are totaled for combinations in hand). The first person to score 121 points is the winner” (quoted from Hoyle). Our weekly Friday night Game Night is a great place to learn or practice cribbage (please bring your own board).
You can pre-register for the tournament by filling out a form and returning it to the library with your registration fee (download a registration form here), or you can register on the morning of the tournament, beginning at 10:00 AM.
- Players, please bring your own boards.
- Players meet at 10:45 AM for an organizational meeting.
- Tournament play begins at 11:00 AM.
- Players will be assigned opponents by a random draw, and games will be one-on-one according to Hoyle’s Rules, excepting the rule of muggings.
- Opponents will play a best of 3-game series, with the winner advancing to the next round.
- Trophies will be awarded to the last three remaining players.
If you are curious about Hildegarde Dolson, the tournament’s namesake, you might want to check out local author Peter Greene’s blog. He wrote a series of posts about Ms. Dolson in 2009, and the first post in the series is a good place to start. Also, there is a portrait of Ms. Dolson in the library. Ask about it at the front desk.
(photo credit: Jonathan_W (@whatie) via photopin cc)
Registration for the next six week session of our popular Busy Bees Story Time begins on Tuesday, February 11. The session runs from February 18 through March 25, and meets every Tuesday at either 10:15 AM or 11:00 AM (you can choose your time at registration). Registration is limited to 20 children per time. To register, please stop by the library or call (814) 432-5062 beginning on Tuesday, February 11.
Busy Bees Story Time is a great opportunity for children from birth through age 6 to experience the joy of storytelling, singing, dancing, and craft making with our Children’s Librarian, Ms. Abby. Each session has a theme, which is carried out through picture books, short stories, songs, dancing, and finger plays.
- Please call if you will be absent.
- Please plan to feed your children before arriving or after story time is over.
- The Busy Bees do lots of fun participatory activities, including singing and dancing. Participation makes it fun for the kids, so please participate as much as possible. If your child has a difficult time paying attention, feel free to leave the room and come back when your child is ready.
Everyone is invited to visit the library on Saturday, February 8 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM for the 3rd annual Love Your Library Benefit Open House. A $1.00 donation is appreciated, and entitles you to a chance to win the Love Your Library gift basket, sponsored by the Franklin Public Library Board. The library is closed to normal business on that day, and instead will feature all kinds of fun, family friendly activities, including:
- Local student art projects based on a favorite book
- Music by Sandycreek Elementary Choir at 12:00 Noon
- Music by Central Elementary Instrumental students at 1:00 PM
- Meet K-9 police dog Mal and Officer Anundson from 12:00 Noon to 2:00 PM
- Caricatures by Jeff Little
- Story times with Miss Abby
- Craft making stations featuring snowman and valentines
- Door prizes
- Cookies and punch
The Love Your Library Benefit Open House is a great time to meet others in the community and check out all the library has to offer. It’s also a nice way to show you support the library, as well as the students who will perform. We hope to see you here!
We are hosting a Teen Creative Writing Workshop with Neverending Stories next month. The workshop, called The Inklings, is on Saturday, February 15 from 12:00 Noon to 2:00 PM. Teens ages 13 through 18 are invited to register. Registration is limited to 20 teens, so please register early. To register, stop by the Franklin Public Library, or call us at (814) 432-5062.
This workshop is for any teen who likes to write stories or would like to improve their storytelling. Feel free to bring your laptops, flash drives, or any other supplies you wish to use. Also, bring a story you’re working on and a red pen. The workshop will include:
- individual/peer-on-peer workshops
- writing prompts
- editing tips
- discussion on different types of storytelling from traditional to Manga
- tips on how to get your story ready for publishing
- of course, snacks
Please be sure to share this with any writing teen you may know. We are excited to see you in February!