The 2016 Summer Reading Program, “On Your Mark, Get Set … Read!”, begins June 20 and continues through August 12. Join us for free, fun, weekly events for all ages, and prizes for reading!
Registration Kickoff is at the library on June 20 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. No registrations will be accepted before Kickoff. The first 20 registrants receive free timers to help keep track of reading time. The first 60 registrants receive a free folder, record sheet, and fun stickers.
For the full details of each program, please check our Calendar.
The Children’s Summer Reading Program is open to ages birth through 12, and children of all abilities. Independent and family readers are encouraged to join.
Children’s Summer Reading Program events include:
- Story Time continues on Tuesdays. Mommy & Me Story Time, for children up to age 3, begins at 10:15 AM. Busy Bees Story Time, for children ages 3 and up, begins at 11:00 AM. Caregivers are asked to attend the programs with their children. Siblings are welcome. Registration is requested by June 17.
- Family Movie Time is weekly on Thursdays at 2:00 PM, from June 23 through August 11. Showings will be movies based on books, all with a G or PG rating, and are open to the whole family. Please call the library at 814-432-5062 to see what we’re showing. No registration is required.
- Summer Wii Games are weekly on Thursdays at 4:00 PM, and are open to the whole family. No registration is required.
- Play K Circle Time begins in July, and meets weekly on Thursdays (July 7, 14, 21 and 28) at 11:00 AM. This new program is for children ages 4 to 6 to play, practice, and explore kindergarten routines and concepts in a fun way. Caregivers are asked to attend the program with their children. Registration is required by June 23.
- Crazy 8s Summer Challenge encourages families to complete at least one math problem a week. Each problem completed earns families an entry in a prize drawing. At the end of the eight weeks, the winners will be chosen in a drawing for fun math supplies!
The Teen Summer Reading Program is open to teens ages 12 through 18.
Teen Summer Reading Program events include:
- Enter our Teen Summer Short Story & Art Contest. Whether it’s a romp to the past, dealing with fire-breathing lizards, or to a far away galaxy, let your imagination set a course with Sci-fi and Fantasy!
– Three groups for entries: ages 11 – 13; ages 14 – 16; and ages 17 – 19.
– Stories must be no more than 4 pages, and art work must be printer page size (8 1/2″ x 11″).
– The deadline for submission is Saturday, June 11, 2016.
– Winners will be announced during our 3rd Comic Con on July 16th (details below).
– Entrants must include name, phone number, address, school, and grade from the 2015-2016 school year with their submission.
– Submit your story or art by dropping it off at the library during normal business hours, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our 3rd Annual Comic Con is on July 16, from 12:00 Noon to 2:00 PM. This year’s theme is Video Games. There will be a costume contest and video game trivia contests. Winners of the Summer Short Story & Art contests will be announced. There will be a Minecraft-style background booth for photos. Modern and vintage video games will be included in the fun, and of course, snacks. This event is free and open to teens and their families. No registration is required.
- Celebrate the birthday of the Boy Who Lived with us! Harry Potter’s Birthday Party is on Saturday, July 30 from 12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM for all ages. No registration required.
Adults are invited to “Exercise Your Mind…READ!” Displays of items will change throughout the summer to highlight different ways to stretch your mind, including wellness, exercise, healthy eating, relaxation, doodles and coloring, and games. Submit reviews for any book you read and be entered to win weekly door prize drawings.