Did you know that April is Drop Everything and Read month? Also known as D.E.A.R., April is a national month long celebration of reading, designed to remind people of ALL AGES to make reading a priority in their busy lives.
D.E.A.R. was previously only celebrated on April 12th, in honor of beloved children’s author Beverly Cleary’s birthday. Mrs. Cleary first wrote about D.E.A.R. in Ramona Quimby, Age 8. As D.E.A.R. has grown in popularity and scope, the program expanded to span the entire month of April, which leaves plenty of time for classrooms, communities, and families to participate.
For lots of ideas, motivational stickers, certificates, worksheets, and resources, check out the official Drop Everything and Read page. Will you participate?
D.E.A.R. is sponsored by the National Education Association (NEA); Parent Teacher Association (PTA); ALA’s Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC, a division of the American Library Association); Reading Rockets; The General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC); the American Press Institute; First Book; HarperCollins Children’s Books; Read Kiddo Read; Walden Media and Ramona Quimby.
Lose weight, receive accountability, maybe win some money, and help raise money for the library! Thin It To Win It is a 6-week weight loss challenge, with weekly weigh-ins and monetary accountability!
- The first weigh-in is on Saturday, April 11, at the library anytime from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- The cost to participate is $25.00 per person and $1.00 at each weekly weigh-in.
- Weekly weigh-ins continue every Saturday at the library until May 16. Stop in anytime from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM to weigh-in.
- Participants whose weight stays the same or increases from one week must pay an additional $1.00, which can help you stay motivated.
- The participant who loses the most weight at the end of the 6-week challenge, based on percentage of weight lost, wins half of the total amount collected. Now that’s motivation!
- The library receives the other half of the amount collected. Thank you in advance for participating!
Pre-registration is required. Download a Thin It to Win It Registration Form and return it to the library with your registration fee, or bring it with you to the first weigh-in.
Here’s to good health and a good cause! Let’s motivate each other, and try to win some money.
Our 20th Annual Quiltathon is this Friday, April 10 and Saturday, April 11, from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM each day. The Quiltathon is a annual fundraiser hosted by the Friends of the Library. The public is encouraged to stop by the library and watch the quilters in action, and experienced quilters will be on hand to demonstrate and guide anyone who would like to learn to quilt.
Quilters collect sponsors at $5.00 or more. All quilters and sponsors will be eligible to win one of the completed items. The drawing for winners will be held on May 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM. Winners need not be present to win.
This year, quilters will work on this adorable If You Give a Mouse a Cookie baby quilt (53″ square), generously created and donated by Sherry Bastecki, as well as a lap quilt with an oriental fabric. We hope to see you here! If you’re looking for a quilter to sponsor, stop by the library.